I was speaking to one of my roommates the other day and the topic of Thanksgiving came up. While we were sharing our funny stories (like the on about my first thanksgiving….I’ll tell you about that later) I said that my favorite dish was the sweet potatoes. What she said next astounded me.
“The only sweet potatoes I’ve ever had were in a pie.”
Oh my. So naturally I went to the store and picked up some ingredients to show her sweet potatoes in all of their vegan glory! I present to you:
Sweet Potato Bowls
Are you ready? Good. This only takes 30 mins. to make and 2 seconds to enjoy! Ready Set Go!
What Do I Need?
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 2 LARGE sweet potatoes
- 1 bundle broccoli (I used baby broccoli)
- 2 BIG handfuls of kale
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 – 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
All of these ingredients only cost me about $15 for two batches. Now each batch yields about 3 servings. A post about how I did this will be coming soon!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse your garbanzo bean then set them aside in a mixing bowl.
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half and your onion into wedges. Place them onto a baking sheet and coat everything evenly in some melted coconut oil (not swimming in oil! just a light coat). Make sure the sweet potatoes are skin side down.
- Let that bake for about 10 minutes. While that is baking, chop up your broccoli or broccolini. You can throw away the stems if you wish but I keep them for added nutrients and deliciousness!
- After 10 minutes is up pull out the sheet to add the broccoli. Give the broccoli a light coat of coconut oil as well and a little dusting of salt and pepper. Flip the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for another 10 minutes. While that is baking chop up your kale. It doesn’t really matter what size you chop it in. I just like for it to not be in huge leaf format.
- After 10 minutes is up add the kale. Drizzle a tiny bit more oil on there and mix the kale and the broccoli together. Add a little more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes.
- While that is baking heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Grab the bowl of garbanzo beans and add
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Mix all of that together then put it in the skillet. Saute them until the are browned and fragrant. This should take 5-10 minutes.
- Now everything should be out of the oven and done sauteing. Here comes the fun part – assembly!
- Cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized cubes.
- Put kale and broccoli at the bottom of your bowl.
- Add sweet potatoes
- Then spoon some garbanzo beans on top!
This recipe yields about 3 servings and is great for meal prep!
Don’t forget to clean up!
Hope you enjoy!